As I’m writing this I’m sitting in my living room with a cup of organic green tea and raw honey that I purchased on one of my recent trips to Vietnam. My favorite Anthropology Volcano candle is burning and A Seat at the Table, Solange Knowles new album is playing. It’s been three years since Solange released new music. I’ll never forget the day her last album True was released. I had just been fired from my job at the time and I was BROKE. I remember calling my mother and asking her if I could log into her iTunes to purchase the album. I know she doesn’t remember that but I do. That was a rough time in my life, not only was I jobless and broke, the guy I was dating at the time was showing his true colors and revealing his asshole ways. But thanks to my girl Solo new music and a hot bubble bath helped me forget my problems if just for that night. Now here we are a little over three years later. New music from Solange and I can buy the album on my OWN, listen to it in my OWN apartment. God’s still working on the perfect man for me, other than that life’s great and so is this amazing new album from my soul sister.
A Seat at the Table is a lesson to what it means to be young and black in America today. With neo-soul and funk vibes Solange addresses the violence against black America today while also addressing the problems of the past. In 1965 Civil Rights leader James Forman once said, “If we can’t have a seat at the table then let’s knock the fucking legs off.” How’s that for motivation for an album title?
Solange has always been pro-black and if you didn't know she lets you know on tracks. "F.U.B.U.," "Mad," "Don't Touch My Hair"
“Cranes in the Sky” is my favorite song on the album and it should be every black woman’s favorite song on the album “Cranes in the Sky” describes attempts at avoiding the pain, experienced during the recovery process following a breakup or pain from feeling rejection as a young black woman in America.
As a long time, Solange fan and supporter this album was well worth the wait. It’s obvious she put her all into this project and it shows. If you haven't listened to the album yet I suggest you get your cup of tea, a glass of wine or whatever your vice is, light a candle and have a Seat at the Table.
Photo: SolangeMusic.com

Girl this song is everything! I'm in a transitional period in my life and it's right on time. It's quite soothing. Now I'm curious about the rest of the album.
ReplyDeleteYou should check out the entire album. It's so motivating.
ReplyDelete